Friday, December 3, 2010

New Directions (kind of like Glee)

Carrot, spelt, chia, superfood muffins.
Hello Hello! I have missed blogging in these last few days. So many great things happened and I told myself, "I can't forget to blog about this", but now I forget :(  So when they come back to me, I will twitter it!

I do remember working out a lot. Doing a killer leg, and ab workout. Finally bench pressing without a Smith machine, and doing a real-semi pull up!

But one of the most major things to have happened was a complete diet revolution. As your goals in life change, I think it makes sense that your diet changes with it. Since my direction in life has changed towards muscle building and toning, I have decided to add more protein sources to my diet, while still eating clean. Though many vegans will now hate me, it's a decision that I feel good about. If we have to use labels I guess I am a rawish pescatarian? I try to eat 75% raw vegan foods, and I also now eat fish and eggs. I still do not eat dairy or other types of meat. This blog focus will shift a little bit towards my physical fitness goals and the foods I eat to reach them. I will still be featuring mostly vegan recipes, as I think they are delicious and the most wholesome, but there will be some fish kicking around in there. I will not use eggs in my recipes, except for when I'm eating an actual egg (aka. scrambled, etc).

So now, onto some healthy vegan muffins! They have carrots, chia seeds, spelt flour, cacao nibs, goji berries, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds. My mouth is watering just writting this!

Superfood cacao nibs. They smell awful but are great in muffins.

The dry ingredients. I forgot to add all the superfoods until two seconds before it wen't into the oven. So don't forget them either! :)

The wet ingredients

Finished product


Carrot + lots of other goodies spelt muffins:

Inspired by Ohsheglow Carrot Chia Spelt Muffins

Ingredients:
  • DRY INGREDIENTS
  • 2 cups spelt flour
  • 3 tbsp sucanat
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp cacao nibs
  • 2 tbsp goji berries
  • 2 tbsp organic raisins
  • 3 tbsp crushed walnuts/ pumpkin seeds
  • WET INGREDIENTS
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp almond milk
  • 1.5 cups shredded carrot
  • 1.5 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup agave
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (use sweetened if you want sweet muffins)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
Directions: Mix the dry ingredients well. Mix the wet ingredients well. Let the chia seeds sit for a bit in the wet ingredients so they can get all gooey and yummy. Pre-heat oven to 375. Put into your muffin tins (with silicon cups, or paper cup), and cook for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let them sit for a bit, they will harden while they cool.

Ryan made me a really great omelette the other day. It had salsa, onions, spinach and mushrooms in it. I use 1 whole egg (organic and cage free) with 5 egg whites.

Since he is a chef, he added some avocado, asian pear, and dill as garnishes. I ate the first two, but not the dill. Yuk.


 I also made a really great strawberry mylk shake! I got the idea from Rawlicious. I took almond milk, avocado (for the creaminess), vanilla, fresh strawberries and agave. You blend it all up and enjoy! I will post the exact ratios soon. I was freeballing it because I wasn't sure, but it tasted pretty true to the one I enjoyed at the restaurant. I am sure any milk drinker wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And you can adjust your sweetness accordingly with the agave.

I was too excited to drink it and remembered the picture halfway through.
I went out and bought some more Vega protein powder the other day, and I was really jealous of the guy next to me who got to buy some other great tasting animal powder. I wasn't jealous of the source of the protein, just the flavour.  So I did some research and found out that Sun Warrior has really great tasting proteins. Unfortunately they wouldn't deliver to Canada, so I found a raw website in Canada that had it and ordered two 2.2 lb bags! I am sooooooooooooo excited to get it, you have no idea. I am already planning tons of great ways to incorporate it into my food. I got 2 vanilla flavoured ones. I am not a huge fan of chocolate, unless it's actual chocolate, and then you can probably count me in as one of its top 10 greatest supporters. This protein is made from sprouted brown rice, it is raw, and highly digestible. I can't wait!

On a random note, so sad that Golden State hasn't been doing very well lately. Anyone see Cleveland and Miami yesterday? It was intense with all the crowd booing Lebron.

Well, I am off for a little while. I plan on making a hearty vegan soup tonight! I will let you know the recipe when I make it!

So glad to be back!

1 comment:

  1. Wow !! it's so nice to see you back , Lola is so cute,i can't get enough of her , your muffins look delicious and the omelet look awesome, how is the soup going ? well good job little health monster!! love Mom xx

    ReplyDelete