Thursday, November 4, 2010

In a sleep, eat, everything rut



Nothing interesting over here. I feel like i've been in a sort of rut lately, especially with money woes. I have been soooo sleepy too. I am usually an early riser, and lately i've been waking up at noon. It's totally weird, and the fact that I am still tired is even more weird.

I've decided to take a different approach to my training recently. I figure that since I won't be running any races until next summer that I can slow down my running a little bit and focus on strength training. I will still run 3-4 times per week, but with maximum distances of 12 km. I want to keep that base there, but I don't want to tire of running either. With my weight training, I'm aiming to do heavier weights now, instead of lighter weights with more repetitions.

Today I am going to swim practice at 7:30, and earlier this morning I did back and bicep strength work.
  • Deadlifts with 50 lbs, 3 sets of 20
  • Wide grip assisted chin up 3 sets of (12, 12, 8)
  • Lat pull down ( 50 lbs x 15, 60 lbs x 8, 50 lbs x 15)
  • Dumbbell row with 20 lbs in each arm, 3 sets of 15
  • Barbell preacher curl with 30 lb barbell, 3 sets (15, 13, 12)
  • Incline alternating dumbbell hammer curl, 15 lbs in each arm ( 7, 8, 8)
I feel really great after strength training, like I really pushed myself. I usually always go to the gym in the early morning, like today. But yesterday I went at around 10 pm. I figured that it wouldn't be very busy at that time, but I was soooooooooo wrong. It smelt like sweat everywhere, and every single machine and weight was being used. I am not one to wait for machines when someone takes 5 minutes between each set to stare at their muscles in the mirror. I decided to leave after seeing that there were no free weights, since everyone was doing drop sets and had all the weights around themselves. I asked them if I could use one and they said  "ugh, i'm doing drop sets, I need all of these." Jerk. I didn't let the experience at the gym ruin my workout though, I did chest and triceps at home! I only had 10 lb weights, but it was enough.
  • Dumbbell bench press, 3 sets of 15 with 10 lb weights
  • Incline dumbbell bench press on ball, 3 sets of 15 with 10 lb weights
  • Pushups, 3 sets of 15 (totally died on the last set)
  • Lying dumbbell tricep extensions, 3 sets of 12 with 10 lb weights
  • Overhead dumbbell tricep extensions, 3 sets of 15 with 10 lb weights
  • Tricep dips on the chair, 3 sets of 15
I also did a 6.5 km run that day in 34 minutes with Gigi. It was a great run, and Gigi really pushed me to go faster. I decided to do a shorter run because I wasn't sure how far she could go, but I clearly underestimated her. I'm scared to bring her on my long runs now because she will pace me too quickly! I'll be dying after 5 km.

I've been in a sort of food rut too. I can't think of anything new to eat, so today I had some wraps with the yummy chickpea fallafel hybrids that I posted earlier.


 I added some radishes, tahini, red onion, orange pepper and spinach. It was mighty delicious, especially on those great Ezekiel wraps. I put a few sprinkles of Daiya cheese, but I don't really like it too much. I made some mac n cheese with it the other day, and it ruined the original flavour of the cheeze sauce.

I think we should be putting more wholesome things into our foods then some synthetic crap that "melts". Why are we going so crazy over something that melts? Anyhow, I'm just having a bad day, so i'll post this before I go on a crazy rant.

I am hoping to make some healthy cookies with cacao nibs tonight. See you later!

1 comment:

  1. There is always the sunshine after the rain , remember tomorrow it's a new day ,love Mom !!

    ReplyDelete