Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Really easy high protein sandwich!

Hey all! Today was a pretty action packed day. I brought the doggies out for two long walks (and a 30 minute ball throwing session in the hallway of our apartment), went to the gym, cooked a lunch time snack, cooked lunch and dinner, cleaned, went to work, did a 60 min yoga for runners class, and still have time to post! Heck yes! At all of the moments that I wasn't in the house, Gigi managed to ruin something or get into something!  But how can you get mad at this cute face!


At the gym today I did a 60 minute power walk on an incline. I usually start at an incline of 10 and then build up to 13 (which I think is the highest it goes).
Distance: 3.5 miles (5.6 km)
Time: 60:00
Calories: 597
Average HR: 146
Max HR: 167

I felt like I was working a lot harder during this power walk then I do when I run. I think this form of cross training (along with spin classes and weight training) is what's keeping me injury free (knock on wood) from running. I always get some sort of injury when I increase my mileage, but I think the moderation in running is what's helping. The cardio that I gain from spinning and speed walking is just as good as the cardio from running, so I don't see why some runners seem so against doing other forms of cardio. I know that regular yoga keeps me injury free too. The benefits of yoga have been proven a billion times over so there's no need to argue it, but I know from personal experience,  that if it weren't for yoga, I wouldn't be in half the shape that I am now, both physically and mentally.

I made a really good sandwich before work tonight. I didn't have much time and had to pump something out really fast. So I did an open faced, hummus, black bean and salsa sandwich (like a fajita).

I started out with Cobs Ancient Grains bread (toasted) , added hummus and 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast:
Next, add the salsa (I used organic Neal Brothers corn salsa) and black beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment