Sunday, August 29, 2010

Vegan Moroccan Stew!

Very yummy and pretty easy to make. The only time consuming part was cutting all of the vegetables. I served  it on quinoa to add some extra protein because of my workout today.

Vegan Moroccan Stew:

Ingredients
  • 1 cup veg stock
  • 1 cooking onion, chopped
  • 2 red bell peppers (or any other colour), chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayene
  • 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
  • 1 cup chopped and peeled sweet potato
  • 1/2 cup parsnips
  • 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
  • 1 cup snap peas
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions:
Saute onions, red pepper, garlic, mushrooms, sweet potato and parsnips in veg stock for 10 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Add all of the seasonings, the tomato, black beans, and chickpeas. Stir for another minute and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sweet potatoes and parsnips are tender (30-45 minutes).

I served this on top of quinoa, but I wouldn't recommend it. The quinoa soaked up all of the liquid. This would be great to eat on its own.
I served this dish with some Cobs bread drizzled with chili seasoned olive oil!

I made it for my run today, and I was right about what I said yesterday, I felt amazing running! That rest did me good! I did a 30 minute tempo run; so 3 minutes at an average pace, and then 1 minute at 95% effort. My Garmin told me:
Distance: 5.01 km
Time: 27:51
Average Pace: 5:33 min/ km
Calories: 306
Average HR: 163
Max HR:176
My last km was the best though! I did it in 5:16.

Once I came home, I did a good stretch. My hamstrings are soooo tight. After I stretched I walked to the bedroom and my legs felt like they were bouncing everywhere. You know that feeling when you go to grab something and its a lot lighter than you thought it was, and your hand flies up. That's what happened with my legs.
I finished off with a bit of triceps before work. Tricep dips and tricep extensions. Nothing special.

Now, what shall I have for dessert!!

No comments:

Post a Comment