Friday, August 27, 2010

It's a big salad kind of day

The hill repeat idea didn't go too far today. I started completely dreading it as soon as I said I would do it. Over my time with running I've come to realize that if you completely dread exercising for reasons other than laziness, then your body is trying to tell you something. It told me today to rest.
Unfortunately, resting didn't really happen. My mother and I decided we would try to go to the Exhibition Center again, and this time make it there. Before we got there we stopped in Kensington Market to this amazing restaurant called Hibiscus. One of my favorites, it has vegan crepes and ice creams, as well as these amazing mixed vegetable salads.
One day I will try to attempt this amazing salad

Sweet potato, quinoa, tofu, mixed beans, carrots, green beans, broccoli and a scrumptious raw cracker!

We got to the Exhibition Center and the first thing we did was go on some carnival rides. Let me tell you, I do not have the stomach that I had when I was 13. After two rides, my mom and I looked at each other and I knew that we were both done. Now, try walking around a huge exhibit for two hours feeling like you're going to throw up, and like you have a seriously severe case of vertigo. It was pretty non-restful for a rest day.
I did not get to see the deep fried butter (yes, that's right), that everyone was talking about. But I did see this:

They had a whole building (massive, think 5 high-school gymnasiums) filled with different animals behind cages. In the same building was an area filled with statues made of butter. What are we? Seriously. I just don't understand the concept of taking animals out of their natural habitat and letting kids see them for enjoyment. Like the Toronto Zoo trying to get pandas: seriously, pandas in Toronto? It gives children this sense that we control all wildlife, that we can put them behind cages and do with them as we will. If there were cows there, kids would know that that's where there burgers would come from; but I know they wouldn't understand it, and parents wouldn't tell them anything other than this false fairytale. It made me feel sick, and since I already felt sick, the streetcar ride home felt like a vomit comet.

Dinner was a salad, not just because I was too tired to cook anything, but because it was the only thing my stomach could handle.

Romaine, baby greens, radishes, red pepper, onion, pumpkin seeds and easy balsamic dressing
Just put some homemade granola bars in the oven! I'll let you know how they turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment