Friday, August 20, 2010

Awesome black bean burgers :)

Dinner tonight? Homemade black bean burgers with delicious whole grain buns from Cobs Bread. I used all the onion in the burgers, so I didn't have any left to put on the burger :( . I just overcompensated with mustard.
Fact: Mustard has wayyyy less sugar then ketchup. Once I found that out I cut myself off cold turkey from ketchup; which was quite a feat considering I put it on everything.
And Kiwi too! Amazingly delicious and high in Vit C, potassium and beta carotene.
The burgers turned out much better than the power yoga class. You'd think that a class with such a title would require some sort of rigorous effort, but I don't think I got my heart rate over 95. I mean, an hour of sun salutations doesn't really get my engine going.
Needless to say, I burnt 133 calories. But I'm sure most of that can be attributed to my BMR.

Black Bean Burger Recipe:
  • 1/4 cup flour ( I used spelt)
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal
  • 2 tbsp olive oil (to saute)
  • 1 large vidalia onion chopped finely
  • 1 small hot pepper, minced (more or less, depends on amount of heat you want)
  • 1 sweet pepper ( I used yellow), chopped finely
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced (I like my food extremely garlicky)
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano ( I used dried)
  • 2 cups canned black beans (make sure to rinse and drain)
  • 1/2 cup corn 
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs ( I left my healthy bread out all night and the crumbled it myself, I did one slice)
  • 3 teaspoons chili powder (or more, depends on taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cum ( powder or cumin seeds)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
  • 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
Saute the onions, peppers (both hot and sweet), garlic, oregano and cumin seeds in the oil until the onions become clear or garlic browns.
On the side, mash the beans and stir in the onion mixture that you just sauteed. Also add the breadcrumbs, corn, chili powder, salt, parsley and basil. Mix as well as you can and shape into cute little patties.
I pan fried them, for lack of a barbeque, but feel free to do so. Pan fry in oil until both sides are browned (5-10 minutes).
This made 12 small paties!
Enjoy!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment